The following is a list of questions to ask college coaches during a college visit. These questions won’t be relevant for all sports or all colleges. For example, D3 colleges do not give out athletic scholarships so there’s no point in asking about them. Some questions may be more appropriate for a second visit than a first visit. After all, if a coach is just meeting you for the first time, he probably can’t rank you among recruits for specific positions.
I based these questions on those I’ve found on various internet sites and recruiting books. There are some questions I didn’t include. One list included questions on the conference the team played in and how many games were on the schedule. I’m sorry, this is something that is easily looked up on the team website. Why waste your time (and the coaches) asking questions that can be answered in five minutes on the internet?
Join other parents in the College Recruiting Parent Zone
If you are targeting the Ivy League, I suggest you read through Good Questions During Unofficial Visits-Suggestions on College Confidential. There are quite a few contributors on the Athletic Recruits forum with experience with Ivy League recruiting and are willing to help.
For baseball players who have realistic prospects to make it to the MLB, 25 Questions to Ask During the College Baseball Recruiting Process is worth a read. Some of the questions are designed to get more at the issue of player development.
Questions to Ask College Coaches
Get PDF version in the College Baseball Recruiting Starters Kit
- What is the season/off-season practice schedule?
- What would a typical schedule look like?
- Is there a separate conditioning schedule?
- Are there unofficial/captain practices?
- Do freshman play?
- What percentage of freshman remain on the team all four years?
- What is the travel schedule like?
- Are there separate dorms/dining/work out facilities for the athletes? Are athletes required to use them?
- What position do you see me playing?
- How many people are you recruiting from my position?
- Where do you rank me on your list of possible recruits for position _______?
- How many/types of scholarships are available for my class?
- Are scholarships for 1 year or 4 years?
- How are scholarships renewed?
- What are your redshirt policies? Will scholarship cover a fifth year?
- Do you have official tryouts for the team?
- What is your walk-on policy?
- Can I compete in other sports?
- Is there a junior varsity team?
- Are there any summer obligations?
- What is the coaches recruiting timeline?
- How would you describe your coaching style?
- When does the coaches contract end?
- What kind of players succeed here?
- What medical expenses does the college cover?
- What equipment are players required to provide?
- What expenses will players have to cover?
- What is the team GPA?
- What percentage of players graduate?
- Are there team/athletic study halls/tutoring?
- How are conflicts between academics and athletics handled?
- Will I be able to do study abroad?
- What are some of the common majors of players?
- Are any players majoring in ________________
- Will I be able to major in _______?
- How accommodating are faculty with players missing practices?
- Do players attend summer school to reduce the in-season course load?
- For example: are catchers allowed to call their own pitches?
- What do look for in players at _______ position?
- What happens next?
- Do you need anything else from me?
CONNECT WITH OTHER PARENTS WITH PROSPECTIVE COLLEGE ATHLETES
JOIN THE COLLEGE RECRUITING PARENT ZONE
Make Sure You Target the Schools That Will Recruit You
Get Your Copy of the DIY College Rankings Baseball Spreadsheet
(Try the sample spreadsheet below)